Friday, August 14, 2009

A Forstress of Solitude




More and more lately I hear people telling that sometimes men just need to go to a cave and be by themselves, it’s from the book “Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus”, or something. Even Superman had a place he went to when he needed to be alone, a cave made of ice called the Fortress of Solitude.

Recently I think I’ve been looking for that cave or that Fortress and I haven’t been able to find it. First I looked for it inside own my head, the one place where I could truly be free; but that was a wasted effort because when worries and concerns and thoughts and nightmares start to creep up the first place they go and look for you is inside your own head. So I looked in a bottle, well in many bottles, and surprise it wasn’t there either; the liquor that up until that point had always an escape from the everyday became the dagger of memory and the fist of misery. So I looked to my bass strings and my guitar strings to play a sweet lullaby of painless, thoughtless, loveless, worry free times; but to no avail, the songs kept reflecting my need to escape to cave. So I kept looking and kept looking and thought: the Internet! That’s the place where I can be alone and gather my thoughts; but the internet somehow ends up getting crowded with people and things to do, so much so that you need time off the computer just to get away from it all.

In the end folks, I’m still looking for my elusive Fortress of Solitude. My place of worry-free time, the place where life doesn’t creep in and bite you in the ass, the place where I can be whoever I want to be, think whatever I want and just breathe. I’m not sure I’ll ever find it. I’m not sure anybody knows exactly where to find it, but I promise that I will and when I do find it, I’m not sharing it with anyone because inviting people to my Fortress of Solitude would defeat its entire purpose. So find your cave or your Fortress and keep it a secret, never tell a soul where it is and when you're feeling alone and crazy, just remember that all of us are also looking for this mystical place.








Bookmark and Share

No comments: