Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sarah Palin thanks the Army for Letterman's Apology

Once upon a time, comedian and late night talkshow host David Letterman made a joke about a politician's daughter. He said that Sarah Palin's (ex-vice-presidential candidate) daughter had been "knocked up" by pro baseball player Alex Rodriguez. It was not a good joke, but it wasn't the horrible joke that everyone made it out to be.

I mean, the joke was clearly about Palin's 18 year old daughter (who actually IS pregnant), but Palin and her husband immediately assumed he meant their 14 year old daughter. Everyone knows that making jokes about statutory rape of a teenager is not something that you do. I'm sure that Letterman, with his years of experience, knew this as well.

So he decided to apologize but still maintains the joke was about Palin's older daughter, the one who is actually pregnant.

Palin accepted the apology: “on behalf of all young women, like my daughters, who hope men who ‘joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve.” Entirely missing the point of Letterman's apology, but so far so good right?.

Wrong.
She then went on to say: “This is all thanks to our U.S. military men and women putting their lives on the line for us to secure American's right to free speech. In this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect.”

Now I hate to say this, but isn't that just the dumbest thing you're ever heard? How can the men and women of the US military be responsible for David Letterman's apology? Seriously.

Even during the whole US election thing, I stayed quiet about Palin: I didn't poke fun and I didn't laugh and quote the things she said. Because, even if I don't agree with her politics, it was nice to see a woman run for vice-president. But now? If she's going to go on camera and say things like that? I have to say something.

I think that the US military is doing a good job and the young men and women fighting overseas and risking their lives deserve the thanks of the US population. I don't think, however, that they are directly responsible for David Letterman's apology or for maintaining free speech in the current US, the constitution does that on its own.

Again Ms Palin, thanks for all the laughs... I'm sure that behind closed doors you're a very shrewd politician, but I really wish that you'd find a way to get something right when you're in front of a camera.

(Source for quotes: G&M)

Muchacho Enfermo



Bookmark and Share

No comments: