Sunday, February 22, 2009

Marois: the little train that couldn't.

PQ leader Pauline Marois decided to use her opening speech at the Parti Québécois "National" council on Saturday to tell everyone present that Québec would be better off in this economic crisis without Ottawa... Isn't this the same person who complains that the money we get from Ottawa just isn't enough?

“Sovereignty is a pressing need” said Marois, saying that if Québec were independent of Canada it would have a seat at all the major international conferences and could push its own agenda.

I have a few words for Marois: nobody cares. Do you really think that if Quebec were a nation of maybe 6 million strong that it would be a part of the G8 or even the G20? Do you really think that with your broken English and your angry little fist pounding, anyone outside Saguenay would really give a damn? Do you think the world would just roll over and say "Wow.... Quebec is awesome, let's listen to what they have to say?"

Well my answer to all these questions is: no.

Outside Canada Quebec is insignificant at best. Economically Quebec would have nothing except hydro and lumber. The multinationals that employ hundreds of thousands would pick up and leave (just like in 1980 and 1995) and Quebec would be left alone, crippled, without Ottawa bailouts and money injections from big business.

It wouldn't be long before Marois would sell us out to the US and the precious "national identity" she so desperately pursues would be lost.

Muchacho Enfermo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD COLUMN!!!!!

People are really nuts, aren't they. I mean I know Sarkozy would be the very first to INSIST that an independent Quebec should get a seat on the UN Security Council, the G8-now-9, maybe lead NATO..... NOT!!!!!!!!
MJP

Patrick Ross said...

There's a good chance Quebec could lose a good deal of its Hydro electric resources upon secession.

It's long been recognized that if Quebec can secede from Canada then Quebec's aboriginals could secede from Quebec.

Muchacho Enfermo said...

Thanks MJP!
I'd like to point out though that a few weeks ago Sarkozy met with Quebec's Liberal Premier Jean Charest and made a pretty clear statement that Quebec should shut up and be happy inside Canada. I think it's the first time I agree with the french. lol

Quebec just can't separate, you're right Patrick, they would lose a lot of assets that border on NFLD and on Ontario. Not to mention the Hydro assets that are bordering First Nation Reserves...

Muchacho Enfermo said...

lol@ Quebec leading Nato.
that would be (all at the same time) the funniest and saddest moment in Nato history.

Anonymous said...

Firstly I would say, I am an Anglophone Quebecer. I was born here and raised here. I love my province and my country. Secondly, I am sick and tired of this spewed nonsense from someone who continues to foster disdain amongst Quebecers for each other. One of many reasons I love Quebec, especially Montreal, is that I have had the opportunity to meet some incredible people from all faiths, backgrounds and ideologies.This is the wonder of Quebec. I'm proud to say that I speak both official languages fluently and am grateful to have had the chance to learn them. I will say this: I'm an Anglophone married to a Francophone and if we can live happily ever after, so can Quebec within Canada if it chose to do so.

Anonymous said...

You really skewered that Marois robot very well in very few words.....
The separatist bunch thinks nothing of rejecting TROC (the rest of Canada) and when nothing works and they destroy the two countries -the original one and the newly created state- they will have to either face thirdwordliness forever, or sell out to the USA in order to survive. Because leaving Canada would mean also leaving Canadian subsides, currency, postal service, and health sytem, too.
And I mean, merely survive. I particularly liked that you say that she's just proficient in broken English. But those nutwads are ready to believe that they will be part of G8 or Davos, or whatever other venue without realizing that they would be creating a political frankenstein from which one could also secceed.