Friday, March 6, 2009

Exporting the Revolution... one cup at a time

In a time where hundreds of thousands of tourists flock to Cuba for cheap vacation deals, beautiful beaches and all they drink; in a time where Che is still a misunderstood symbol of mini-revolutions worldwide, I was surprised to find Cuban coffee available for sale at my local super market. For a mere 10.79$ you could enjoy the taste to the Caribbean right here in your own home and if you brewed it in a Turkish coffee maker and added tons of brown sugar it tastes just like you're there.

Cabinet shuffles in Havana, Cubans with cell phones, Cubans on tourist beaches and now... Cuban coffee in Canada. These are the "massive" changes that are sweeping this small island nation since el General took over for his (I swear he's deceased) brother. But here at home, it seems that the Revolution is not only creeping into pop art, uneducated rock bands and t-shirt stores... No my friends, the Revolution is creeping into my coffee cup.

I went into a coffee shop the other day and ordered an espresso, the girl behind the counter asked what kind I'd like, I looked at the menu and saw they offered Cuban coffee, so I ordered one. I pay and she gives me my little styrofoam cup. Once outside, upon closer examination, I find that the cup says "coffee revolution" on it along with a big red star... I ask myself: Is this special communist coffee that is going to take over the world? Is this cup ready to defend the ideals of this backwards Revolution to the death? Or is this just a marketing scheme to appeal to the Che Guevara t-shirt wearing hippies that read Marx and have zero understanding of the world?

I'm not sure; but what I do know is that I am not taking part in this "coffee revolution" or any other revolution and I will never be seen in public again with a cup that says "coffee revolution" on it. Especially not one that costs me 4.69$...

Muchacho Enfermo

4 comments:

Toñi.co said...

Interesante blog.

Anonymous said...

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all wanna drink some coffee
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all wanna drink some coffee
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
*****
But if you go carrying cups of Cuban coffee
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
all right, all right, all right
all right, all right, all right

Muchacho Enfermo said...

Charlie... that is right up there on my list of favorite comments EVER!

And Toni.co thanks for the comment :D

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.