Saturday, November 29, 2008

A couple of days late...

For my first order of business I'd like to post, even though I'm a few days late, about Generation Y. Some people will say that it might be a political blog but to the hundreds of thousands of readers it most certainly is. So I figured I'd give a big shout out to Yoani Sanchez, her translators and her legions of readers. On November 27th she was awarded the Jury's Prize for "Best Blog" and people's choice award for "Reporter without Borders".

For those of you unfamiliar with her site you should check it out. The lengths she goes through to post there almost daily is just insane and she deserves to be read. She is spreading the word about what it's really like inside Cuba for her and her family and for her friends. Most of these things are things that the Castros don't want anyone else knowing about.

All that to say, that on Thursday, live on the Bobs while the awards ceremony was on, bloggers also logged in and had live chat about the awards and let me tell you all right now that 85% of the chatroom was talking about Generation Y. I think it's clear to everyone now that she is a global voice, that people listen and read. The only that's left is figure out how this can be applied internally in Cuba. How can all of us out here help those in there.

I think it's also worth mentioning that there are many other bloggers from inside Cuba who have broken the silence and have put their names, faces and ideas on the world wide web... Here are a few of the sites that are worth checking out:
Generation Y
Desde Aqui
Sin Evasion
Habamenia
Octavo Cerco

And I`m sure there`s more I just don`t know about... but these are the ones I read.

I could write about Cuba until my fingers turn blue and odds are I probably will in the not so distant future. But either way it's not furthering the Cuban's need for free speech, fair elections and means to feed their families. If anyone out there comes up with an idea please let me know and I promise I'll do the same.

Have a good one people,

Muchacho Enfermo

No comments: